What is testosterone?
Testosterone is a crucial hormone that plays a key role in many aspects of health and wellbeing in males, including muscle mass and strength, bone density, libido, mood, and more.
Key Functions of Testosterone
Some of the key functions of testosterone include:
- Anabolic effects: Testosterone helps build muscle mass and strength and positively influences other anabolic processes in the body.
- Libido: Testosterone plays a key role in regulating sex drive and sexual function in men. Sufficient testosterone levels are necessary for healthy erections, sperm production, and more.
- Bone health: Testosterone helps promote optimal bone density. It plays a role in preventing age-related or low-T linked osteoporosis.
- Energy and Mood: Testosterone levels are associated with energy, mood, and motivation in men. Restoring levels can help relieve low-T linked depression and fatigue.
What Causes Low Testosterone?
Some common causes of low T-levels include:
- Aging: Testosterone begins gradually declining after age 30 at about 1-2% per year. Many men start experiencing sexual or other low T symptoms by 40 or 50.
- Overweight/Obesity: Body fat, specifically belly fat, contains aromatase - an enzyme that converts testosterone to estrogen. Obesity drives this conversion resulting in low T.
- Injury/Infection: An injury or infection in the testes region can disrupt testosterone production. Severe illness/infection also depletes testosterone.
- Medications: Opioids, antibiotics, antidepressants, steroids, chemotherapy, and others can negatively impact testosterone production.
If you are experiencing symptoms of low testosterone like fatigue, low libido, erectile dysfunction, depression, or unexplained weight gain, get your testosterone levels tested. Replacing low levels via testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) under medical supervision can restore wellbeing and vitality.
Vitality Health Center for TRT & Hormone Optimization
Our integrative programs also incorporate nutrition, supplements, fitness and lifestyle recommendations for optimal whole-body vitality. Contact us today for a consultation with one of top anti-aging hormone specialists!